Colonel Jeffrey J. Gomes is the Commander, 624th Operations Center, 24th Air Force, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He directs 250 active duty, reserve, and civilian cyberspace professionals in accomplishing the unit’s mission—command and control cyberspace forces who deliver full-spectrum cyberspace capabilities and outcomes for the Air Force, joint force and nation. Col. Gomes is also responsible for developing strategy and options to support evolving U.S. Cyber Command missions. His team provides command and control for the $14 billion Air Force Information Network, and oversees execution of USCC and 24th AF operational orders supporting 10 major commands at 150 locations worldwide.
Col. Gomes was commissioned into the Air Force through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1998. His staff experience includes tours at Headquarters, U.S. Central Command; NATO Headquarters Supreme Allied Command Transformation; Headquarters, Air Force; and the Defense Intelligence Agency. He also served as Chief Mission Director in support of Presidential travel while assigned to the Presidential Airlift Group. Col. Gomes’ operational experience includes command of the 85th Engineering Installation Squadron, assignment to an Air Force Space Command launch wing, and deployments to Bosnia, Qatar, and various countries in the CENTCOM area of responsibility. Prior to his command tour, Col. Gomes was the Chief, Combat Operations Division at the 624th Operations Center.
1998 Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, RPI, Troy, N.Y.
1999 Basic Communications Officer Training, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
2003 Master of Science, Information Systems Technology, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2003 Federal CIO University Certificate, D.C.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, College of Naval Command and Staff, Newport, R.I.
2016 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, D.C.
1. July 1998–October 1999, Deputy Flight Commander, Information Systems Flight, 45th Communications Squadron, Patrick AFB, Fla.
2. October 1999–July 2000, Flight Commander, Mission Systems Flight, 45th CS, Cape Canaveral Air Station/Patrick AFB, Fla.
3. July 2000–June 2003, Intelligence Systems Project Manager, DIA, Bolling AFB, D.C.
4. June 2003–March 2006, Chief Mission Director/Mission Director, Senior Executive Service, Presidential Airlift Group, Andrews AFB, Md.
5. March 2006–March 2007, Assistant Secretary of the Joint Staff, CENTCOM, MacDill AFB, Fla.
6. March 2007–October 2009, OIC/Lead Communicator, CENTCOM Commander/Deputy Commander’s Communications Team, HQ USCENTCOM, MacDill AFB, Fla.
7. October 2009–November 2010, IDE Student, College of Naval Command and Staff, Newport, R.I.
8. November 2010–July 2011, Air Force Director Fellow, CNO Strategic Studies Group, Naval Station, Newport, R.I.
9. July 2011–July 2013, Commander, 85th EIS, Keesler AFB, Miss.
10. July 2013–July 2015, Senior Executive Officer/Cyber Task Force Chief of Staff/Airborne Communications Branch Chief, Secretary of the Air Force, Chief Information Officer, Chief of Information Dominance, Pentagon, D.C.
11. July 2015–July 2016, SDE Student, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for Nat’l Security & Resource Strategy, D.C.
12. July 2016–June 2018, Deputy Division Chief, NATO Cyber Investments/Program Manager, NATO Security Investment Program, NATO Headquarters Supreme Allied Command Transformation, Norfolk, Va.
13. June 2018–May 2019, Chief, Combat Operations Division, 624th OC, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
14. May 2019–present, Commander, 624th OC, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 13, 1998
First Lieutenant June 13, 2000
Captain June 13, 2002
Major March 1, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel Nov. 1, 2012
Colonel Feb. 1, 2019
(Current as of May 2019)