Chief Master Sergeant Joshua D. Kahney is Superintendent, 624th Operations Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He is the commander’s primary enlisted advisor and leads 180 Airmen who provide centralized command and control of 24th Air Force/Air Forces Cyber forces comprised of over 800 operators executing seven weapon systems in 12 units across the globe. Additionally, he is the 24th AF 1B4X1 Functional Manager. In this role, he oversees the utilization and professional development of over 600 Cyber Warfare Operations Airmen.
Originally from Gate City, Va., CMSgt Kahney entered the Air Force in September 1995 as a Computer Programmer. In 2005, he was assigned to the White House Communications Agency where he served as NCOIC, Database Administration, Information Systems Division. There he provided technical support to the Office of the President, Air Force One, Marine Helicopter One, Secret Service and the White House Military Office. Prior to his current position, he served as Superintendent, 390th and 836th Cyberspace Operations Squadrons, at JBSA-Lackland, Texas.
1995 Communications, Computer Programmer, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
1998 Airman Leadership School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Associate of Science, Computer Science, Community College of the Air Force
2005 Bachelor of Science, Business Management and Computer Information Systems, Magna Cum Laude, Troy University, Ala.
2006 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maguire AFB, N.J.
2008 Additional Duty First Sergeant Symposium, Bolling AFB, Washington D.C.
2011 Remote Interactive Operator Training, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
2012 Associate of Science, Cyberspace Operations, Community College of the Air Force
2012 Senior NCO Academy Course, by correspondence
2014 Senior NCO Academy Course, Maxwell AFB/Gunter Annex, Ala.
1. February 1996–November 1999, Computer Programmer, Medical Logistics, Standard Systems Group, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2. November 1999–April 2003, Computer Programmer, Manpower Data Systems, SSG, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
3. April 2003–June 2005, NCOIC, Database Administration, MDS, SSG, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
4. June 2005–July 2010, NCOIC, Database Administration, White House Communications Agency, Anacostia Naval Station, Washington D.C.
5. July 2010–June 2011, Cyber Attack Operator, 315th Network Warfare Squadron, Ft. Meade, Md.
6. June 2011–July 2012, Flight Chief, Weapons and Tactics 315th NWS, Ft. Meade, Md.
7. July 2012–October 2013, Flight Chief, Current Operations 315th NWS, Ft. Meade, Md.
8. October 2013–October 2014, Operations Superintendent, 315th NWS, Ft. Meade, Md.
9. October 2014–July 2015, Detachment Superintendent, 315th NWS, Det. 2, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
10. July 2015–April 2017, Squadron Superintendent, 390th COS, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
11. April 2017–June 2018, Squadron Superintendent, 836th COS, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
12. June 2018–Present, Superintendent, 624th Operations Center, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
1999 Military Leadership Award, Airman Leadership School
2006 Presidential Service Badge, White House Communications Agency
2006 Noncommissioned Office of the Year, White House Communications Agency
2007 Communication and Information Noncommissioned Office of the Year, White House Communications Agency
2009 German Armed Forces Proficiency Badge
2013 Distinguished Graduate Award, Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy
2013 Information Operations Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, Air Force Space Command
2014 Information Operations Enlisted Person of the Year, Air Force Space Command
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant May 1, 2018
(Current as of July 2018)